Saturday, May 11, 2024

The Design Process is as important as the final product... in the classroom.

 After having observed a couple of decades of students in the classroom, I have finally become more process considerate than the final product. In recent years, I find helping our students steer through the obstacles of the process is just as important as what the student finally submits. The lack of adequate resources, the less-than-predictable time I have with my students, and their many other commitments make it difficult to ask many of the students to submit a product/project that I may showcase as an exemplar. I will make adjustments to my teaching philosophy to concentrate on key objectives, but not place such high standards for the final product. 

With that, I am also determined to help students complete a polished, well-designed final product or two. In my advanced engineering course, I have decided to emphasize on two projects, one each quarter, but may be worked on simultaneously. The projects will focus on depth of understanding of the subject. This will help provide the students with more time to complete each project and with the craftmanship desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment